“Here comes the Bride, all dressed in…”
Hold up! You’re dating Mr. Wonderful and he seems to be everything you could have ever dreamed of. He’s the right height, is sweet to his mom, can talk guns/sports/man-things with your dad and even knows how to make toast without burning it.
Could this be love?
Before you start planning that big day, practice signing your name with his last name, or naming your children, put down the wedding magazines long enough to make sure you’ve covered some important topics with your significant other. The answers will give you some insight as to whether this is has some lasting potential and what possible road bumps you may encounter along the way.
- Do you want children? If so, how many?
- How will said children be raised? What are the expectations about both of us working or one of us staying home?
- Do you expect your future family to look exactly like your’s did growing up?
- Do they have a particular faith or set of religious beliefs? How important is that to their daily life? If your faith and his don’t match up, what kind of conflict might it cause?
- What to you is an ideal Friday night? Weekend?
- Given a thousand dollars, how would you spend it?
- If money were no object, what would you spend your days doing?
- Do you have any debt? When do you think it is ok to take on debt?
- How do you best receive love? (A great book on this is The 5 Love Languages: The Secret to Love That Lasts,
by Gary Chapman)
- Is there anything I could ever do that would make you stop loving me?
- What is your position on [insert controversial issue such as abortion, same-sex marriage, ObamaCare, the debt ceiling, school choice, and anything else you can think of that might cause tension]?
This list is just to get you started. Hopefully this sparks some great discussions and many more questions that will give you a glimpse into the person you’re thinking of marrying. Then you can either say “I do,” with confidence or take the equally important step of walking away and waiting for a better fit.
What other questions would you add to the list?